The Ministry of Education, the NZ Educational Institute (NZEI), and the Post Primary Teachers’ Association (PPTA) met on Thursday morning to resolve issues of pay disputes and teacher workloads.

Following the meeting, PPTA president Jack Boyle said there will be no strike action next week, but could not provide further details.

“Secondary teachers have called off the Year 10 rostering home that had been planned for Tuesday 11 June,” Boyle said in a statement.

“The PPTA will not be making any further comment at this time,” he said. 

Earlier this week, the PPTA put the heat on the Government as secondary school teachers refused to teach Year 9 students as part of the planned four-week strike action.

The PPTA’s rostered strikes, for Year 11s on June 25 and Year 12s on July 12, could still go ahead if the talks stall.

The parties involved in yesterday's talks are expected to provide further comment next week.