Members will hold secret online ballots on September 25 to decide whether to accept the offers.

The new offer, which will cost $569 million over four years, was designed to respond to the union’s concerns that the initial offer was too heavily weighted towards new teachers, according to Secretary of Education at the Ministry, Iona Holsted.

"The ... new offer ... would see the principal of a school of fewer than 50 students increase their roll-based salary component from $81,553 to $92,976 by 2020,” Holsted said in a statement.

In addition, these principals would receive a $2320 leadership payment.

They would also receive a cumulative increase of between 9.3 and 14 per cent over the next three years, made up of increases of between 3 and 4.5 per cent each year over the next three years to the roll-based component of their salary, Holsted explained.

Meanwhile, teachers at the top of the scale would earn $82,992 a year by 2020 under the revised offer.

“New teachers who currently start on $47,980 will increase to $50,902 from mid next year increasing to $52,429 in 2020,” Holsted said.

“[The offer] provides a cumulative increase of 9.3 per cent over three years; to teachers and a 3 per cent increase for all teachers each year, over the next three years.

“The first increase will take effect when the collective agreement is settled, the second increase 12 months later and the third 24 months later.”

However, NZEI noted that the revised offer included no funding to support children with additional learning needs, such as the requested funding for a Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENCO) in each school, and no provisions for reducing workloads for either principals or teachers, nor a reducation in class sizes.

The Ministry maintained that additional funding for learning support has already been provided in Budget 2018, with more than $270 million allocated, including an extra $133.5 million for the Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS).

It added that Associate Education Minister Tracey Martin is currently developing a Disability and Learning Support Action Plan which will, among other things, consider the need for additional staff.

The Ministry also said it was reviewing how teachers assess learning, in response to teacher claims that this can impact on their workload.

In addition, a joint taskforce has been set up to identify the compliance-related administrative tasks that could be reduced or eliminated to free up time for principals and teachers.

"As teachers and principals we can see that the issues in our schools simply can't wait any longer and our students' learning is already being negatively affected because of the difficulty in recruiting and retaining teachers," NZEI's teacher lead negotiator Liam Rutherford said.

"Member leaders are not making any recommendation to the wider membership about whether to reject or accept the offer."

NZEI said if the offers are rejected, there will be further consultation with members and at its annual conference in early October, where members will make recommendations about next steps.

Earlier this year, NZEI launched its bargaining campaign seeking a 16 per cent pay rise over two years.