About this job
You will have responsibility for the following activities and delivery of the following key tasks:
- Assist in managing and monitoring the progress of correspondence and maintaining a high level of accuracy in line with established priorities, including monitoring important issues, and follow up action.
- Analyse the content and requirements of correspondence, and determine where the correspondence should be actioned, undertaking investigation, research and analysis of sensitive and confidential matters.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships and network with clients and officers of the department in order to expedite the business activities of the division.
- Encourage an environment in which high quality services are delivered by continually seeking improvements in executive support systems and processes, and leading by example.
- Review correspondence for the division ensuring compliance with departmental visual and style guides, maintaining consistency with format, structure and protocols.
- Analyse correspondence, briefings and submissions in order to ensure accuracy in content and alignment with relevant legislation and policies.
- Provide guidance to the office administration staff ensuring the provision of confidential administrative and secretarial support.
- Contribute to the preparation of Cabinet documents, estimates, Questions on Notice, Questions without Notice, and Possible Parliamentary Questions ensuring parliamentary timelines are adhered to.
- Assist in the preparation of submissions, reports, briefing material and correspondence for the Deputy Director-General and other senior officers on significant portfolio issues.
How you will be assessed
Within the context of the role described above, the ideal applicant will be someone who has the following key capabilities:
1. Supports strategic direction
- Demonstrated ability to review and analyse strategic and operational policies, practices and procedures and to provide high level advice and strategic recommendations.
2. Achieves results
- Proven ability to analyse and research complex issues, resolve problems, establish work priorities and meet predetermined deadlines and commitments.
3. Supports productive working relationships
- High level ability in building and sustaining effective working relationships in a high pressure environment, working across teams and building on team strengths.
4. Displays personal drive and integrity
- Proven organisational skills with high level ability to assist in the preparation of documents of a sensitive nature, including submissions, briefings and substantial reports for executive decision making.
5. Communicates with influence
- Demonstrated highly developed written and oral communication skills, including the ability to assist in the management of the flow of business and liaise and consult with internal and external clients regarding sensitive and confidential matters.
To apply please provide the following information:
- a brief resume including contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your current supervisor)
- a maximum 2 page written response outlining your suitability for the role referring to the key capabilities under “How you will be assessed”.
Applications remain current for 12 months from the closing date and may be considered for appointment to identical or similar vacancies within the Department.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.